Translate

Friday 5 September 2014

My Camino de Santiago (Wet Pants and aching legs)

I was  awoken to pouring rain lashing at the windows, whatever happened to sunny Spain? Staying in my sleeping bag wasn't an option as the Hospitaleros chuck you out of the hostel at about 8:00 a.m. Never mind 'Onwards and upwards'. We had a short stroll of about 29 kilometres today along paths and small country roads to the small pueblo of Terradillos de los Templarios.



Jacques, Pablo and I set off together along an old Roman road which stretched for approximately twelve kilometres into the middle of nowhere. The terrain was as flat as a pool table and a stiff breeze blew up driving the rain into our faces. I began to regret buying the cheap light weight waterproof trousers as within a very short time they were no longer keeping the rain out. My legs were soaked and there was a small icy puddle building up in my crotch area (is this what it's going to be like when I'm old and doddery and in a care home).



Luckily the Camino Angels were looking out for us again. After walking about halfway along this ancient trackway we came across some enterprising local people who had set up a barbecue and bar under some tarpaulins in a small field alongside of our route. For five euros I bought a hot coffee and a hamburger bocadillo which I drank and ate whilst standing in the sodden field, with rain dripping off of my trusty old Tilley hat. It was the best five euros that I have ever spent!



Eventually though we had to get going again as the rain and wind were starting to make us shiver and we were in danger of going down with hypothermia. On the plus side, after walking for a short while the icy puddle in my pants was starting to warm up, warmed by my body heat (either that or I had peed myself). The rain and wind continued until about 4:30 p.m. and my left lower leg was slightly swollen and starting to hurt. Luckily my feet were still dry and I still hadn't succumbed to blisters.

We eventually arrived at Terradillos de los Templarios in the early evening and booked into the only albergue. The village was much smaller than we anticipated, a real one horse town (and the horse had bolted). According to the guide book this village (Population 80) was a stronghold of the Knights Templars and apparently we were about to experience the simplicity of this humble village. The book was not wrong. The dormitories were over crowded and the peregrino's evening meal was extremely simple, apart from the price! Still if you can't take a joke, you should have stayed at home!


1 comment:

  1. We're waiting for the next exciting blog from the camino. JimR

    ReplyDelete